Dental implants in Newtown have the potential to restore your smile, save you from the inconvenience of traditional dentures, and help you enjoy all of your favorite foods. These tooth replacements are sturdy, they can last a lifetime, and they can prevent the bone loss in the jaw that often comes with missing teeth. Sounds great, right? Before you can undergo the life-changing dental implant surgery, however, you have to find out if you’re a good candidate for the procedure.
Traits of a Good Candidate
Your dentist in Newtown will be the one who ultimately determines if dental implants are the right choice for you. However, if you meet the following criteria, there’s a good chance that your dental care provider will give you the thumbs up for procedure:
- You have fairly good oral and overall health. Getting implants requires that you undergo surgery, and surgeries always come with certain risks. That’s why it’s important that your body be healthy enough to withstand the procedure. Some conditions that might hold you back from getting implants include gum disease, any disease that compromises your immune system, and uncontrolled diabetes.
- Your jaw is nice and strong. One of the best things about dental implants is that they bond with your jawbone and act like natural tooth roots. But for the bonding process to succeed, your jaw needs to have good bone density and bone height.
- You have great oral health habits. Dental implants don’t require a ton of special care, but they do require that you keep a clean mouth in order to prevent infection. You need to be diligent about brushing and flossing so your new smiles stays strong and functional.
Traits of a Less Than Ideal Candidate
Your dentist might recommend against dental implants if:
- You use tobacco. Cigarettes and other tobacco products are terrible for your oral health, and they can dramatically increase the chances that your dental implants will fail.
- You suffer from bruxism (teeth grinding). This unhealthy habit can put too much pressure on your implants.
- You are expecting a new family member. The anesthesia used during the implant surgery might have negative consequences for a pregnancy. If you’re an expecting mother, it’s best to wait to receive implants until after your little one arrives.
- You are a child. Children’s jaws are still in the process of developing. The dental implant surgery is best for mature bodies.
Even if you doubt you could receive dental implants, you should still talk to your dentist. Perhaps there are things that can be done to make you a more viable candidate. For example, if you have a weak jaw, a bone graft might be the solution that allows you to get the smile you’ve always wanted. If you grind your teeth, a night guard may solve the problem.
Dental implants could change your life! Why not head to your dentist to find out if you’re a good candidate for them?
About the Dentists of Newtown
We’re proud to offer restorative dental services, including dental implants, to our community. If you would like to learn more about how you can be the owner of a new smile, please contact us. You can reach our North Sycamore Street office at 267-751-3001, or call our Durham Road office at 215-598-0800.